Running is over-rated, and walking is under-rated.
Yes I know, controversial!
And before the runners get angry, I’m not at alI saying that running isn’t good.
I am saying that walking is super super good for you, and most of us don’t realise that!
I have to be honest, I find running difficult. I did a duathlon back in 2018, which I had to train really hard for. I enjoyed the cycle training, but found the running very challenging.
Walking has so many benefits, so if like me, you don’t like running, or running is just not something you can do, take heart!
Walking takes no specialist equipment apart from a pair of comfy shoes or boots.
You can do it from your front door and it is a great way to keep social.
If you need more convincing, how about these 5 top health benefits to encourage you outside today.
- Heart Health: Walking helps improve your cardiovascular system by increasing your heart rate and circulation. Regular walking can lower your risk of heart disease, reduce blood pressure, and improve cholesterol levels.
- Weight Management: Walking is an great way to manage and maintain a healthy weight. It burns calories and can be integrated into your daily routine, an easy option for people of all fitness levels.
- Mental health: Walking has positive effects on mental health. It releases endorphins, boosts your mood and reduces feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. It’s great for relaxation and mindfulness.
- Joint Health: Walking is gentle on your joints. It can help improve joint flexibility and reduce the risk of conditions like osteoarthritis.
- Walking Meditation: A great way to combine meditation and walking! Next time you are out, take a moment to really look around you and see your environment. Be grateful for whatever green space you can see, the hedges and grass, the trees and the birds, the blue (or grey!) sky and the ability you have to use your legs to walk. Simple yet super effective!
Get outside today for a walk – every part of your body will thank you for it!